Meet the Doctor
Beverly Shafer MD, Boston’s North Shore Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Shafer is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been in practice in Massachusetts for over 20 years. She has become a well-recognized and regarded presence in the lives of many people on the North Shore of Boston because of her extensive surgical experience, her reputation for compassionate and understanding care, and for her artistry as a plastic surgeon. She is unique
to the world of surgery because of a first career in art and book publishing, attributes of which have given her an eye and perspective particularly keen to plastic surgery, an artful science. She was voted one of the top ten plastic surgeons in Massachusetts and received a faculty award for excellence and graduate of distinction from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.
Dr. Beverly Shafer knows that each person is unique. She works with you to understand your motivations and to help you achieve your goals. She practices the full range of general plastic and reconstructive surgery. She specializes in state-of-the-art aesthetic surgery and in surgery of the face and breast. She provides expert reconstruction after cancer surgery, whether it is from breast cancer or from melanoma, from other skin cancers, oral or soft tissue cancers. She also
provides laser treatment and all aspects of comprehensive skin care.
Professional positions held:
• Chief, Department of Plastic Surgery, Beverly Hospital (one of top 100 community hospitals in the USA)
• President, Massachusetts Society of Plastic Surgery
• Associate Chief of Plastic Surgery, North Shore Medical Center
• Board member, New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
• National Committee of Socioeconomic Issues, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
• President, Land Grand Publishing Company
• Member, Massachusetts Medical Society
• Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
• Member, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
• Member, New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
Other Positions Held:
• Board of Overseers Boston Ballet
• Board Member, Montserrat College of Art
• Board Member, Opera Boston
Dr. Shafer was born in the West where the visual worlds of Georgia O’Keefe and the Santa Fe artists led to her first profession. Her love of the anatomy and the human form led her to the University of New Mexico School of Medicine and then to her residency at the Harvard Hospitals in Boston. Her post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center was followed by a fellowship in Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery in London.
She has volunteered at numerous surgical missions from Haiti to Brazil, from Guatemala to Bolivia caring for those with cleft lip and palates and congenital abnormalities.